Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cake Balls

Last October, I came upon this recipe on AllRecipes.Com, posted by Allison. Since then, I have been waiting for an opportunity to try it. So, today, school was cancelled, kids were home, and it was raining and icing all day so we tried it. Jessi said they were absolutely delicious, but I have to say that next time, I will have to tweak it a little. After they were done, I went back to the website and saw that there were some suggestions that I would try next time. For instance, I couldn't dip the balls into the chocolate because despite how moist they were, they weren't strong enough to stay together. One suggestion from others was to freeze the balls prior to dipping at least one hour. Today, rather than dipping, I spooned the chocolate over the balls. It took a lot more chocolate to do it that way, but was still effective.

Ingredients:

1 18.25 oz. package cake mix
1 16 oz. container prepared frosting
1 3 oz. bar chocolate flavored Almond Bark (Confectioners Coating)



Directions:

Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl and stir in the frosting until well blended.









Using a melon baller or small scoop to form bite size balls of the cake mixture. Place the balls into the freezer for at least one hour.


Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.

Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place them on waxed paper to set.




You can leave as it or dip in sprinkles, coconut, chopped nuts, or drizzle with another flavor of chocolate. Delicious!!

1 comment:

Maci said...

Hey I gave you an award...check out the rules =]

and I love cake balls..I posted them in my blog too.