Thursday, January 8, 2009

Alison's Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost 2 months since my last post!! Time has just flown by with the Holidays. I have adapted this recipe from Alison on AllRecipes.com and it has become one of my favorites. I drop everything into the slow cooker in the am before I leave for work and the complete meal is ready when I arrive home. Everyone is starving and ready to eat and we just serve and eat! If you love vegetable soup, you will love this recipe. The consistency is a bit thicker than soup, yet not as thick as a stew. Rachael Ray might call it a "stoup". The ingredients call for 16 oz. frozen vegetables but I often use more than 16 oz. I have also used canned vegetables when I have found that I was out of frozen. I didn't add any carrots today, but I often cut up fresh carrots and add them as well. This recipe is versatile and you can add or subtract what you prefer in your soup. It's a great and easy comfort food!!






Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. cubed beef stew meat
2 cups water
1- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1-16 oz. package frozen mixed vegetables
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. salt
3 shakes dried basil

Directions:

Place beef in a slow cooker. Pour in water. Stir in tomatoes and vegetables. Season with bouillon, pepper, salt, and basil. Cook on low for 8 hours.





1 comment:

mindy said...

I made this veggie soup via crock pot and it was awesome!! It was a little bit too tomatoee for my taste, but the we still loved it!