Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Scramblewiches


I hit the cookbooks the other night looking for a new dinner recipe. I found this one in my Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats. It was an absolute hit with the kids, especially. There were no leftovers! I think Dakota even came back for thirds! I made the recipe as written but I think the next time I will make a few variations on the ingredients. This recipe seems to lend itself to that. My pictures weren't very good but I plan on making it again very soon and I'll add some pics then! This recipe serves four so I doubled it for my family.....:)

Ingredients:
1 Baguette (day-old is fine)
2 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 lb. deli-sliced ham, smoked turkey, pastrami, or corned beef
8 large eggs
A splash of milk
1 tsp hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 deli slices of Swiss cheese (halved lengthwise to fit bread), or 8 slices of Cheddar (2 squares per bread), or 6 slices of Provolone cheese (1 1/2 slices per bread, cut to fit)
Chopped fresh chives or flat-leaf parsley, to garnish (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Farenheit.

Crisp the bread in the low oven, split it lengthwise, and hollow it out. Cut each bread in half again, across, making 4 boats. Switch the broiler on.

Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Add the meat and cook, separating the pieces, for 3 minutes, or until brown at the edges. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Add to the meat and scramble, keeping the eggs a little soft. They will continue to cook in the oven.

Divide the eggs among the bread and cover with the cheese. Melt the cheese under the broiler. Take out as soon as cheese softens and melts. Do not brown or allow cheese to bubble. Garnish and serve.

That being said....I used smoked turkey and cheddar cheese and omited the garnish. I removed the turkey and drained the grease before adding the eggs to the skillet. Then I added the turkey back to the egg mixture and continued. Also, it took quite a while to hollow out 2 baguettes (remember I doubled this recipe) and although the kids liked it, it was pretty crisp. I think that next time, I will use hoagies instead of the baguettes, crisped in the oven. I might even try Velvetta, instead of the cheeses already mentioned in this recipe.

You can try this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!!

1 comment:

Donna-FFW said...

I have 4 kids also. This sounds perfect for all of them.. Great isea. I'll have to try it out on them. Thanks